Monday, November 15, 2010

dicussing the two essays, Whitfield(300) and Barnett-Bey(279)

Granted I am not in class, I just wanted you to know that I read, both of the essays and of course the one's in which they were referring too.
Nov. 15 - Discuss “Reading and Writing:  A Journey Through My Life” by Hilary Whitfield (300) and “Read With Purpose” by Cheryl Barnett-Bey (279). Discuss the connection to Task Four.
 
I did not care for, "Reading and Writing: A Journey Through My Life" by Hilary Whitfield. I thought it was random and she overused the "reading and writing" comment so much, I wanted to strangle myself. I did some editing in my book. I know I am just learning, but I don't think she had a good connection or feel for what she was writing. However, there were some statements on pg. 300, that I liked. When she is talking about how parent read to us and help us in learning to write, she mentions " to expand our imagination." I like that. Also she mention that she reads fiction and she likes "to journey throughout a book." I connected to that.I totally agree with her opinions and the relationship she has with books, for that is also how I feel.
 
In "Read With Purpose", by Cheryl Barnett-Bey, I connected personally to what she had to say. I had to read the essay, "The love of Books",by Gloria Naylor, to "read" for myself, where she was coming from. I too, use writing as an out. I way to release emotions or just random thoughts I can't seem to figure out in my head. It seems if I write them down and then go back and look, I get the "aha" moment. I really liked this essay.
 
I actually think I am going to use: "The love of books" and "Watcher at the Gates", for my task 4. I am not sure "Watcher is approved". If you could please let me know, thanks. I would like to work on that today, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Penny,

    You may both use "Watcher at the Gates" by Gail Godwin and "The Love of Books" by Gloria Naylor.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete