Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"On Becoming a Chicano"

I describe myself as a caucasion american, with Indian, German, Polish and Irish decent.
I have gone through struggles as all people have, I wouldn't say that mine have been any harder, just different. I grew up very sheltered. My parents went through a "religous phase", meaning the extreme. I had to overcome and learn what the world was really like in my adult life and that can be difficult.
Mr. Rodriguez, in a sense, did the same. He threw out all he knew and then when the time was right for him, when he "grew" enough of his own self. He was alright with coming back to who he was.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Penny,

    Did he throw out who he was though? He is labeled as a Chicano, a Chicano intellectual, a gringo, etc. How do these labels affect Rodriguez? Is he proud or is he lost so to speak?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just thought about it and lost is a good word, but it did seem to me that he was embarassed or ashamed in a way of being chicano.

    ReplyDelete