Wednesday, October 6, 2010

writers response question to " Becoming Educated" pg. 214

I am to define and explain what an education means to me. To look this up in the dictionary it looks like this(with a little editing).
[ej-oo-key-shuhn –noun the act or process of imparting or acquiring general knowledge, developing the powers of reasoning and judgment, and generally of preparing oneself or others intellectually for mature life.
 In my life it means what is listed above, plus a new start and a new career. It means a total change in direction and a change in the process of how I think and live my life. I am not used to the organization, skills and processes it takes in getting this education. I am used to living the life of a single working mother. This means you just live day to day and you schedule around your child. I am trying to get this education so that my future will be more secure. I would like to have the benefits of working for a company that has insurance and maybe some retirement, however, I also want the pay for this job that I deserve. I know from experience that in order to receive the advancements and raises needed to compete in the professional world, you need a college education.

I love everyday of going to college. I feel I am blessed to have this opportunity, to expand my mind; so that I can think bigger and see the possibilities, to learn things I have always wished I had in earlier years: math, the correct English procedures, and just basically the social aspect of it is amazing. I think I have an open mind and there is nothing that teaches you more about that than seeing and watching how other people live and get through there day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Penny,

    I am intrigued by how you have defined education and explained what it means to you. You have told us how it applies to you through learning and concepts with an open mind. AND I like that you tell us that you learn from others. So many of your classmates can learn a thing or two from this statement. Well-done!

    What I would like to see in your next post is this kind of response, but incorporate the author's experience with your own. For instance, do you agree or disagree with Jordan. How is her definition of "becoming educated" either similar or different from your own?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete